Re: Custom error handling

Hmmm,
For some reason I seem to have missed the original posting, anyhow:

> hagani@worldnet.att.net schrieb:
> >
> > Excellent product - keep up the good work, John.
^^^
Thank you.

> > I'm having a hard time figuring out how I can use my own perl script
> > to handle a 404 Not Found situation.
> >
> > Specifically, how should I modify the CONFIG.PI3 file so that instead
> > of loading "/errors/404.ssi", my script "/cgi-bin/404.pl" is called?
^^^^
Apart from Holgers solution below - which is also valid - though
possibly requires a certain browser compatibility level (just when was
the meta-refresh thing introduced?) what you have tried to do is 100%
correct. I've just verified it myself.

The only things I can suggest:
	- Make sure you explicitly check /cgi-bin/404.pl from the browser to
	make sure there isn't some problem with this.

	- Check quotes (") are matched.

	- Make sure your favourite text editor does not insert spurious
	whitespace characters on continued lines (lines ending in '\')

	- You may not have comments (lines starting with #) in continued lines -
	because its parsed like a single line. I have a feeling you commented
	out the old 404='/erros/404.ssi" and inserted your own just after -
	this would cause just the problem you describe. Delete the old 404= line
	or move it outside the sequence of continued lines that make up
	the 'Mapping MapToErrorDocument ...' definition.

	- Following from the previous point try not using line continuation - so
	you should have a single long line like:
	Mapping MapToErrorDocument 301="/errors/301.ssi" 404="/cgi-bin/404.pl"
	( of course I've left a lot out).

So in conclusion, it does work I just tried it (with my own /cgi-bin/404.pl)
but watch those line continuations.

Hope this helps.

John

Also note that Holgers solution is good for those 'delayed' refresh uses
that are being used more and more - .i.e. display the 404 Error message for
5 seconds then bring up the home page.