Re: PI3's features

<CUT>

>  Because there isn't embedded scripts - can I control HTTP Auth from
> external CGI? Does Pi3Web has such feature?
^^^^
Yes, the authentication (base64 encoded) you can read and evaluate
from CGI (env.-var "HTTP_AUTHORIZATION")

> > Added the features site 'cause you write you did not got it until now.
> > (without linked resources and graphics but it'll tell you what you want
> > to know.
>
>  I'm sorry, but I can't understand what did you say. I'm very weak in
> English - so can you repeat phrase above in more simple way? :-(
^^^^
Sorry, I wrote it in a bad way. I added a site from Pi3's documentation to the
last e-mail. It's a html file so I not added the images and linked documents.
However I think it's useful for a short overwiew about Pi3's features.

> > >  4) Does it has embedded language (like PHP3 as Apache's module?) If so,
> > ^^^^
> > The Pi3Perl embedded script language is under development too.
>
>  And what terms of finishing this work? What features will be in this
> language? Can you give a list of them?
^^^^
Please ask John Roy as the responsible for Pi3Perl and the SSL theme.

> > You can use Perl 5 (Win32) for the above things too. (www.activestate.com)
>
>  I can use PHP as external CGI - but this is slow way :( I'm searching for
> platform, which works under Windows and has the same perfomance and features
> as Apache/PHP under Unix (I have a lots of experience with this pair, but
> under Windows they can't be used in such way).
^^^^
ISAPI? Perl? Another good thing is Cold Fusion (www.coldfusion.com) but it's
not free.
My common suggestion for you is to get Pi3Web from www.johnroy.com and to read
some of the articles in the mailing list archive too. The server is very
flexible in configuration and supports all of the usual features. I use it since
12/97 and I'm enthusiastic about it.

>  BTW can anybody help to solve the problem: I have binary file, which should
> be downloaded to client. This file is in unaccessible place on server and
> user must call to script, which do identification and give file only when
> user is allowed to get it. I need to suggest filename to browser. I do this
> in such way:

>  Netscape works fine - it suggest to save file.abc. M$IE suggest fantastic
> name like SDFKJWOD. What kinds of headers I need to use for correct work both
> (or all) browsers?

^^^^
Had similar problems with a html-upload form and a script I tested with MSIE
3.02 (NS 4.05 worked fine). I made a HowTo document for some special infos
where I published some upload related stuff. (forms/scripts etc.) Maybe it
helps. Send you a separate mail with it 'cause I don't like send this again to
the whole mailing list.

--
with regards
Holger

Holger 'Zimpel' Zimmermann    Contact me:
Wendishain                    tel./fax company: on demand
Germany                       tel./fax private: on demand
homepage: http://home.t-online.de/home/zimpel@t-online.de
web server: surf to it from my homepage (online every
            Sunday 20:00-24:00 GMT, start shifted again)
e-Mail:     zimpel@t-online.de